Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Warrantless Wiretapping

I disagree with warrantless wiretapping because I don't think the government should have the right or good enough reason to invade our privacy without a warrant. I understand they are trying to protect our nation from further troubles and other happenings, but I still believe that in every condition, they should at least get a warrant before invading our space.

I don't mind if the government is putting surveillance cameras up at street lights and department stores because I believe that is for a good cause, but tapping into our phone conversations and into our internet is kind of crossing the line in my opinion. If the government honestly believes someone could be a terrorist and wants to keep an eye on them, then they should be able to provide proof and get a court order stating its okay to invade their space. I understand that my view on surveillance is a lot of hard work for the government, but I believe it is the right and proper thing to do.

I remember Mr. Seago mentioning in class how warrantless wiretapping wasn't in the constitution, but they didn't necessarily have telephones or internet to even state it in the constitution. The internet is definitely one of the popular fascinating phenomena’s, but people should already know without discussion that it is wrong to invade someone's privacy without permission.

Why is the United States resorting to this? Obviously the reason is because of 9/11, but an incident like that should not penalize everyone in the whole nation. How can the government fix this? Warrantless wiretapping is out of the question and we should spend more money to find another route that doesn’t violate certain rights of the people otherwise it would create chaos within the nation.

If the government believes warrantless wiretapping is fine by any means, there's no telling what they are going to do next. Before you know it, we won't have any privacy whatsoever. I believe something needs to be done before it gets out of hand.

3 comments:

kaos08 said...

I totally agree the government needs to seize all wiretappings that have no warrants. I know the governments trying to stop terrorism, but i also think if they want to tap the phones they should only tap the persons of interest. I also agree that the government should spend more money to find another route that doesn't violate certain rights of people. The only thing i actually agree that the government is doing, providing more surveillance is also an effective way and i don't really mind with more cameras because it also helps with other crimes.

This is a great blog and is also a great topic that can go on forever.

Justin said...

In the article " Warrantless Wiretapping ", I agree with Steven Le's opinion on thinking warrantless wiretapping is just plain wrong. Even if it was just listening in on peoples phone conversations trying to prevent terrorist activities. So yea there were probably millions upon millions of recorded phone conversations, and I strongly doubt everyone single one was listened in on. But I still don't like the fact that my private conversations could have gone into a database for other people to listen to. Therefore the government shouldn't have he right to do that without the proper documents. But I have to say even though it's off subject that the crap they pulled off afterwards which allowed the phone companies who did that to get off the hook safe and sound was just pure garbage.

As for the surveillance cameras. I agree with Steven that they can be good for society. Most of the time they do end up doing some good. So as long as they don't end up installing secret spy cameras in peoples homes I think we'll be able to live with them.

And finally, I too believe we should take that money and spend it on more " legal " and "morally right " choices for protection or surveillance. Because if it continues there lies the risk of it just getting worse. Before you know it we could all be injected with nanomachines that link all of us into one big system. Which might have the power to monitor everything we do, like feel, smell, see and think.

I think Steven Le did an excellent job voicing his opinions and concerns about the governments warrantless wiretapping.

Steven Tran said...

I too agree with Steven Le, the government needs to halt all warrantless wiretappings. The government has already invaded our privacy, who knows what else they’ll do in the near future. I believe that the government shouldn’t be allowed to touch, see, or hear anything that we do in our own privacy. The government needs to act on a more “legal/moral” for surveillance on the American people. I highly agree with Steven when he says “we should spend more money to find another route that doesn’t violate certain rights of the people otherwise it would create chaos within the nation.” Why not spend more money on things like this instead of stupid bailouts.
I too agree with Steven when he mentions, “ I don't mind if the government is putting surveillance cameras up at street lights and department stores because I believe that is for a good cause,” but who knows if the government will go overboard and install cameras everywhere monitoring each and everyone of us 24/7. I already dislike the fact that they are starting to talk about a National ID with chips built insides that can track each and everyone of us.
“If the government believes warrantless wiretapping is fine by any means, there's no telling what they are going to do next. Before you know it, we won't have any privacy whatsoever. I believe something needs to be done before it gets out of hand.” Who knows maybe the next thing they’ll do is take away the 2nd amendment.